Jane Austen's House Museum is a small private museum in the village of Chawton just a two mile walk from The Rose and Crown.
The former steward's cottage was a gift of Jane's brother, Edward Austen Knight ( also believed to have built The Rose and Crown Inn ) to allow his mother and sisters to have a permanent residence. Jane Austen lived in the house with her mother and sister from 1809 to 1817.
When she arrived at Chawton she had written three novels in draft form, these were Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice and Northanger Abbey. It is possible that she revised these novels at the house, before getting them published. In addition it was here that she wrote Mansfield Park, Emma and Persuasion.For full details, address and location visit their website www.jane-austens-house-museum.org.uk/
Massey's Folly was built by Thomas Hacket Massey who served as rector in Farringdon village for 62 years. The folly took thirty years to build. The reason the construction was so protracted was that the folly was entirely built by Massey along with a single bricklayer. Further delays were due to Massey occasionally demolishing completed parts of the structure and making further additions.It has been used as a school and village hall but it's future is now uncertain. A fuller description and historey is available on the village website http://www.farringdon.biz/parish/hall.htm